I just flashed GrapheneOS for the first time on my Pixel 6, and so far the switch from stock has been smooth and almost all my old apps are working as intended. The only major issue I'm facing at the moment is trying to restore my WhatsApp backup, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work.
This is what I've tried so far:
- installed Google Services Framework, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store
- added my Google account in accounts (this will be removed once I get the backup restored)
- redownloaded Drive and WhatsApp
- Logged in to Drive to confirm backup is there
- Given WhatsApp permission to contacts and storage when asked
Now, when I get the to part where WhatsApp asks to give permission to restore from the Drive backup, it asks me to login again to Google but since this is already done it just says that that account is already added. Backing out at this point only allows me to skip the backup, leading to empty chat history.
Not sure if the order I tried to do things is wrong or why it is not working. I've tried to install the app from both Aurora and Play store, but the results were the same in both cases. I also tried creating a WhatsApp folder manually and copying the Databases and Backups folders there, but I didn't get any prompt to restore from a local backup either.
Any help for the newbie would be highly appreciated!