Fixed with completely full reflash. To avoid confusion in my case a factory reset did not work. A reflash of just Grapheneos did not work. It required me to first flash back to stock android and then flash to Grapheneos again completely.
The take away from this is to double check you have disabled OEM unlock after finishing installation. Especially if you obtained your phone from a third party that automatically installs Grapheneos.
I have two phones, one I setup myself which ran fine and the other custom setup and they did not disable OEM unlock. I assumed it was or that I checked it previously. Double check this option whatever your case.