Hi Graphene team,
Mishaal Rahman of XDA has successfully tested building Android 13 with the old Settings provider model re-enabled, which allows for separate Wifi and Cellular toggles in Quick Settings. The relevant code is a 2 line patch to platform_frameworks_base in Graphene.
Many thanks if this could be enabled in Android 13. Android 12 allowed users to opt-in to the old model via ADB; the code is unmaintained but as long as it works, the option is much appreciated.
As to why?
- The new Internet tile doesn't obviously show connection state at a glance.
- The popup it triggers is poorly designed upstream; if you toggle wifi, the whole popup expands and moves the toggles so it's not intuitive to use.
- It's reasonable for a security-focused OS to show all active radios directly in the quick settings at a glance, which could be relevant to user's threat models.
- Lots of people prefer having the Android <=11 tiles :).
There's two open source apps which somewhat work around this with severe limitations:
- Wifi QS which adds a Wifi Toggle only. (Note: To have it show the SSID, manually allow "Always" location permission).
- Better Internet Tiles which does both, but requires root or Shizuku, which can both impact the GrapheneOS security model. Also, has Google tracking code (GMS and Firebase Crashlytics).