My phone is trying to train me to stop listening to audio books so much. It's not having much success yet.
I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing, troubleshooting, or fixing this. Does anyone have any ideas on what steps I can take?
I've been noticing these problems with Scribd, but not with Spotify. I use bluetooth headphones/earphones for both. These problems don't show up immediately, but do show up over time. They might not start after a few minutes of use, but definitely show up after a few hours of use.
When this problem occurs, it lasts for an indeterminate amount of time. I've noticed it last until only a few minutes after I've stopped using Scribd, but I've also noticed it last for hours afterward (until I finally decide to just restart the phone). Turning off my bluetooth headset and swiping Scribd out of the recent apps list doesn't seem to affect this anymore, though it seemed to in the past.
These problems are:
- notifications don't appear, even though the phone has vibrated
- if the dark/light theme setting has changed while this problem is occurring, the text colour of sub-notifications (for example, expanding a list of Gmail emails) does not change even though everything else does
- the bluetooth quick tile does not update; it still shows connected, even if I've been miles away from the headset for hours
- it no longer works to open settings/apps through the quick tiles (for example, "Alarm")
- switching to another user (from the owner) displays the same lock screen (background and notifications) as the owner, and unlocking it shows the notifications of the owner as though I were still logged into the owner user (in other words, they didn't say "[notification] from Owner")
- actually, switching to another user is a terrible idea if the symptoms are particularly bad: the quick tiles text doesn't show up, opening Vanadium means I can no longer go to the home screen, and I can't switch back to the owner because it thinks I'm still in the owner user. I don't know if it always happens this way, because I don't usually switch users when this problem is occurring
- [PAST] some OS updates ago I noticed that the battery percentages didn't match between the status bar and the notification shade pull down. Not sure if this is still happening
- [PAST] the time used to freeze, but this doesn't happen anymore
- [PAST] I used to get a "System UI not responding" message pop up, but that stopped a few OS updates ago. If I dismissed it, it popped back up perhaps 10 seconds later. If I selected "Close app" then the problems would soon go away, but I don't have that option anymore
I have also noticed some problems with the wallpaper, but I'm not certain whether that's related. I use an app to automatically change the wallpaper every few hours. Sometimes, when this problem is occurring, changing the wallpaper results in a black background instead of the chosen image.
I've tried enabling
ENABLE_COMPAT_VA_39_BIT along with "Exploit protection compatibility mode" just to see if that influences it, but unless it just changes which symptoms show up, it doesn't help. I haven't done my research to know what exactly those do, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a memory problem which is why I gave the
malloc toggle a try, and I figured I might as well try the other at the same time.
Anything else I can give a try?