Thanks for your reply MetropleX and my apology to @MetropleX for not explaining clearly.
Basically Seedvault backup works fine for both the main and secondary user profiles:
- Durng the intial setup wizard (when creating a new profile) that allows you choose your old backups along with its custom 12-word recovery code. Which is @MetropleX your use case when transferring from your Pixel 4a to 6a.
- Or after the initial setup wizard BUT only works with a new backup and a randomly chosen 12-word recovery code.
Now when Seedvault backup doesn't work for the secondary user profile:
- After passing the initial setup wizard if you're trying to restore some of your old backups, you're unable to choose a custom 12-word recovery code to match the encryption of your old backups.
- If you skipped the initial restore process and decided much later that hey after using the profile for a while with lots of preexisting apps and datas, maybe I do want to transfer some of my old Seedvault backups (apps and app datas) from my old phone to this profile. Seedvault doesn't allow that.
- Or if you're trying to transfer and restore your app's data from one of your preexisting "Games" user profile to another preexisting "Music" user profile. Seedvault also doesn't allow that. By default Seedvault doesn't allow you to restore data from several different user profiles encrypted with different recovery codes merging them into a single user profile.
- A little off-topic but another limtation of Seedvault is it's not really designed to backup and restore only specific apps. Automatic Restore also doesn't seem to work for me when I manually reinstall individual apps.
A temporary workaround as mentioned in Seedvault's FAQ is by dialling
*#*#7378673#*#* in the Phone app. But that only works for the main user profile. I suppose other OSes doesn't emphasize multiple user profiles as much as GOS so it's mostly a non-issue for them.
So my question is there a way to solve this such as making
*#*#7378673#*#* activate the restore function in secondary user profiles?
I hope this clear things up MetropleX ?